High School English
English is the foundation for all learning. The goal of English Language Arts is to create literate, thoughtful communicators, capable of controlling language effectively as they negotiate an increasingly complex and information-rich world. Students will refine specific skills and strategies in reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing and will use these skills and strategies widely as tools for learning and reflection.
High School ELA generally revolves around reading novels, essays and other forms of literature, and require students to analyze, interpret and dissect written material in order to compare, contrast and discuss elements, like theme, characters and plot. Proficient writing skills are necessary at this point as these discussions of literature typically manifest in the form of an essay or research paper. High school English is a comprehensive study, combining the five skills of language arts for students to understand literature and its value and to develop analytical skills. English is also a crucial component of college preparation, getting students ready for the extensive research and analytical skills they will be expected to utilize throughout their college careers.
With CreativeK12 tutoring, your student will learn how to:
- Determine multiple themes of a text and analyze their development over the course of the text
- Analyze the impact of author’s choices regarding how to develop and relate elements of a story
- Evaluating the credibility and accuracy of research sources and noting any discrepancies among the data
- Develop claim(s) and counterclaims fairly and thoroughly with relevant evidences
- Provide a concluding statement or section that supports the information presented
- When conducting research, gather relevant information from multiple authoritative print and digital sources, using advanced searches effectively
Listening and Speaking
- Initiate and participate effectively in a range of discussions with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively
- Integrate multiple sources of information presented in diverse formats to make informed decisions and solve problems